Flier vs. Flyer

I got an email from a local SPE Student Chapter that said to see the attached “flier” about the upcoming fundraiser golf tournament. I thought the word should have been “flyer.” So I looked it up.

According to Webster, flier can mean either one who flies through the air or an advertising circular (which is actually rectangular – just another idiosyncrasy of the English language).

In the USA, a flier is one who flies in the air, whereas a flyer is a paper handbill; however, outside the USA, these are used interchangeably, with “flyer” about twice as common. In fact, Webster says that flyer is a variant of flier. Essentially, you can use either spelling for either meaning; however, I prefer Flyer for paper and Flier for one with wings. Now, for a paper airplane made from an ad circular, hmmmm…. Flip a coin! Then be consistent in your usage.

Here’s one I hear a lot during baseball season:
He flied out in the second inning.

The past tense of “fly” has been “flew” ever since the 12th century. However, since 1893 the word “flied” came to be the past tense of hitting a fly ball in baseball. I guess sports
broadcasters are not exactly grammarians.

Redneck Quote of the Day:
“I say we fish 5 days a week and work 2.”
– Bumper sticker on a brown Texas pickup truck


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: